Monday, April 7, 2008

Springtime

I am taking a small break amidst the craziness of this week to write about the loveliest time of year in Japan. It's amazing to me how my mood changes with the weather. California is just hot and dry all the time. The few changes that happened made me happy in odd ways. For example, I love the rain. But I never knew real cold. Never had a real winter wardrobe. I didn't know what it was like to be really cooped up inside for months because going outside is such a drag.

The sun starts to come out, and it's like everyone and everything around me just gets way better than it has been for the last three months. I feel re-energized. I'm just happy about the world. Yes, I know I AM getting married in less than a month, and I will happily admit that that is a huge part of it. It's not just the physical winter that is ending, but a four year metaphorical one as well. The sun is finally starting to come out.

We're so excited about this summer. Her dad is fairly strict. There are a lot of seemingly minor things we haven't been able to do that we are looking forward to. We can't wait for the summer warmth and late night summer festivals flooded with pretty girls in yukata, good food, and ending it all together in our home.

Yesterday we took a break from the craziness and went out for hanami. This is the spring cherry blossom viewing. Right now they are in full bloom, and everyone floods the parks to picnic. We were enjoying o-bentou, and sipping plum wine as cherry petals fell like snow around us. Next to us was a river mote at the base of Osaka castle up on a hill. On the other side was a man playing jazz on an electric piano. The sun was shining warmly on top of a cool breeze as she read a book and I fell asleep with my head nestled in her lap.

Good times.

No comments: