Sunday, March 9, 2008

Xbox360

Alright everybody, I need you to do something for me. I need you all to buy an Xbox360 and play it.

THE FATE OF THE GALAXY IS AT STAKE.

I know this factism because THE BARON told me:



I want an Xbox so bad. But I'm afraid. This red ring of death nonsense is freaky. They say the failure rate is as much as 30 percent. This makes this beast a seriously scary investment.

It's not like I can afford one anyways. But as I consider the direction the games industry seems to be heading, it is still the most economical way to play games for me right now. Most of the killer PC games I want to play are being simultaneously released on the 360. $390 dollars seems steep, until you realize the cost of a decent gaming PC is about five times higher.

It's weird thinking that 400 bucks is cost effective, but with PC sales in decline, more and more games are being simultaneously released. Plus, digital TV is becoming more and more common. The experience is just as good if not better on the consoles. That is, if you don't have a 30% failure rate.

It kills me. I think I would still rather have the PC, but it's a leach. I just can't afford it. Then you have to keep it maintained. It would be so much simpler to just get a basic machine, slap Linux on it, and take care of your gaming elsewhere.

I predict that eventually the choice will be taken out of our hands. I remember when everything I wanted to play was on the PC, and the consoles were sub-par ports at best. Now, PC still has 99% of the games I want to play, but 90% of those are also on the 360. Eventually, I think those numbers are going to flip around, and digital TV's are going to be so economical it won't make sense to have a gaming PC anymore.

What do you think? Is PC gaming on it's way out?

Update (3/13/08):

Apparently, the next Unreal will be console only. For those of you don't really play games, this is a huge deal. Unreal is one of those perennial A list ground breaking graphic heavy titles. It has always been PC first/only because that is the only place where the creators can get enough power to make the game as cutting edge as they want. This is the first time I've ever seen one of these titles being released as a console exclusive. They may port it later, but the PC is a secondary market. Truly amazing. I think the PC is on the way out unless this gaming alliance thing works out.

No comments: