Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Crazy Busy

Sorry I haven't posted in a little over a week now. It's been crazy busy. But I wanted to say hi.

So, what have I been up to?

School ended last week. That meant that I had finals to write and grades to finish. I got everything in on Friday (two days before the deadline, woot!) just so I could show up and work late planning lessons for the next academic year which begins in less than two weeks. I have been completely rewriting the curriculum for the next year. It needs to be done, but I'm also getting a lot of pressure to do so from the higher ups. There's a lot of "Wendy did... good, but you can do better. We hired you because you have a solid background in CS, so show us what you've got." I dig it. I'm also gonna do some cool stuff this year including some programming. But it's a lot of pressure right now.

All this needs to be done ASAP, because after I finish writing it, many of the materials will need to be translated. On top of that, I have to be far enough ahead to plan for the subs that will be taking over for me during my wedding. YAY! It's all for a good cause, but it makes for lots of pressure right now.

I've also been spending some late nights trying to fix a profile issue with the roaming student accounts at school. Turns out redirecting works better if you just let windows put everything in the profile and handle things itself. It took a couple long days to figure out the problem. The IT guy was convinced it was a local machine disk rights issue that couldn't be fixed. Can't be done my ass... It felt good fixing it, but it was a lot of work. Now that I've figured it out, we shouldn't have any more login problems and everybody will start up a lot faster. That is, after I recreate accounts for all 120 students.

In addition to all this I've been trying to handle wedding madness. I just ordered the rings. Joy's wouldn't order at all with my card, so I had to ask her aunt to order it from the States. Mine went through, but then I had a problem with the billing address. But I couldn't fix it right away because I had my card invalidated again pulling out money for Joy (three different pin codes on three different cards + bad memory + only five pin errors allowed = headache). So I stayed up late to fix that, and then I called the ring people to fix my order. They are still checking things out. You seriously look like a scammer when you are using American cards in Japanese ATM machines and the zip code on your funky unpronouncable (to most Americans) is too long to fit in the zip code field on most websites.

I think I've figured out the grooms gifts, but I need to order them still. I can't wait to share all the crazy ideas that wouldn't work. I'll write a post about that after the wedding. I still need to pick music for the wedding. I'm also trying to organize the wedding rehearsal a bit.

All this has added up to 8am to 9pm work days, followed by work at home until about 2am and about 6 hours of sleep for the past several weeks. Not complaining. It's all worth it. But I can't tell you how much I can't wait for this wedding to be over and done with.

Right now it's almost 2am, and I'm still working. Good morning everybody.


Commander X said...

Dude, music for the wedding is easy. Adam can rock the classical music on electric guitar, and for everything else we just get Dragonforce.

MrA said...

LOL! Wait til you see what I have planned for the recessional. =D

For the rest, not so bad. I just need to see what's available, make a few calls, and let everybody know what's up.

The Ninja said...

Oops, that's weird. Last comment was me. Didn't realize until after I wrote it. I was logged into my class blog.

For the brave you can follow that and see some of the weird stuff my students have cooked up.

Most of it is in Japanese tough...